This year we’re celebrating SA’s 60th anniversary and there’s no better way to celebrate than with cake!
These cupcakes, beautifully baked by Coulter's Cakes, have SA incorporated into the batter which gives it a light yet flavour packed sponge.
These cupcakes are incredibly easy to bake at home so celebrate 60 years of SA with us by baking your own version using the below recipe.
(For the cake)
40g Cocoa Powder
60ml Brains SA
165g Caster Sugar
115g Self Raising White Flour
1tsp Baking Powder
(For the frosting)
200g Butter (at room temperature)
1tsp Vanilla Essence
1. Preheat the oven to 180C or gas mark 5
2.Line two 12-hole muffin tins with paper cases
3. Sift the cocoa powder into a bowl, pour in the Brains SA and mix into a thick paste
4. Add the remaining ingredients for the cake and mix, trying not to over mix here as the sponge will be too heavy
5. Divide the mixture equally between the 24 paper cases – we recommend using an ice cream scoop to make sure all paper cases have the same amount of mix in them
6. Bake in oven for about 12-14 minutes until the sponges have risen and are springy to the touch or a metal skewer can be put into the sponge and come out clean
7. Allow the cases to cool on a wire rack while you prepare your frosting
8. In a bowl, beat the butter into the icing sugar and vanilla essence until the mixture has doubled in size
9. Pipe or spoon the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes and allow to set for another hour
10. Decorate the tops of the cupcakes with an embellishment of your choice.
We’d love to see your versions of these cupcakes – especially if you can get a 60 on the frosting to celebrate SA’s anniversary with us!
Share your bakes with us on Twitter and tag us with #SACupcakes